Sunday, August 30, 2009

LPs I BOUGHT AT GOODWILL YESTERDAY (6 for $4.99)

1. Dominique: The Singing Nun's Song - Le Choeur des Enfants de Montmartre (the Montmartre children's choir)
2. Sister Adele - Madeliaine
3. The World Vision - Korean Orphan Choir
4. Guss Jansen's Happy Hammond - Guus Jansen
5. Folk Songs of the Alps - The Swiss Band Organ
6. A Trust in your Future (How to create and maintain a regular savings plan) - Elba Corporation.

BONUS: Sounds of a Mission - The Church of the Bretheren.In the Korean Orphan Choir record sleve was a 7-inch 33&1/3 record called.

NOTES: I got the Dominique and Sister Adle records because I love the music of Sister Luc Gabriel, aka The Singing Nun. She was also known as Souer Sourire (the Smiling Sister.) She left the monastary, but Philips records still owned the name "Singing Nun" so she started going by Luc Dominic. Unfortunately, these two records, while nice to listen to, are almost identicle to her music.

Guus Jansen's record - I love Hammond Organs and the way they sound and the album has a song called "Portuguese Washer Woman." How could I not buy a record with a song such as that on it??? It is currently available on eBay for $26.98. Really. You don't believe me, do you?
http://cgi.ebay.com/JANSEN-GUUS-Happy-Hammond-1960s-organ-LP-M_W0QQitemZ350224212316QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item518afd615c&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I got the Folk Songs of the Alps by the Swiss Band Organ because, as I mentioned previously, I like organ music. HOWEVER, when I put this on the turntable, it turned out to be Merry-go-round music. An organ that plays all the instruments. That kind of organ. Not the kind in a gigantic 1000-year old cathedral with a 80-year old woman playing the music of her childhood which is kind of what I was hoping to get. Instead, I immediately felt like I was spinning around at Knoebel's trying to get the brass ring. (I got the brass ring once in my life at Knoebels.)

The Korean Orphans record - just too odd to pass up.

And the A trust in your future - know when the beastie boys say "I like digging down deep in the record bin" and you hear samples on their records of stuff like some dorky motivation speaker guy saying "I wish there was some way i could be outside playing basketball in the rain and not get wet. Now wouldn't that be great?" I imagine they sit around listening to records like Elba records' A Trust in your Future and mine it for clips.

Anyway, if you want any of these records converted to magnetic tape, i will be happy to do so. Subsequesntly if you want to borrow a magnetic tape player, you can feel free to come to my house and listen or borrow my Subaru.

No comments: